The Presidential Candidate of the People’s Democratic Party, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, has signed the Peace Accord Document of the National Peace Committee ahead of the 2019 General Elections. The peace accord was signed today in company of the PDP Chairman, Uche Secondus and others at the Kukah Center.
Speaking shortly after signing the peace deal, Atiku commended President Muhammadu Buhari for accepting to sign the accord, but also advised him to sign the Electoral Act Amendment Bill 2018.
“I commend the President for accepting to sign the peace agreement. But let me also advise him to sign the Electoral Act Amendment Bill”, Atiku said at the event witnessed by many PDP stakeholders and supporters.
Those at the event included, the PDP national chairman, Prince Uche Secondus; former governor of Ogun State, Otunba Gbenga Daniel; former presidential aspirant and former Minister of Special Duties, Alhaji Saminu Turaki (SAN).
The terms of the accord are:
1. To run issue-based campaigns at national, state and local government levels; In this, we pledge to refrain from campaigns that will involve religious incitement, ethnic or tribal profiling, both by ourselves and by all agents acting in our names;
2. To refrain from making or causing to make in our names or that of our party, any public statements, pronouncements, declarations or speeches that have the capacity to incite any form of violence before, during and after the elections;
3. To commit themselves and political parties to the monitoring of the adherence to the accord by a National Peace Committee made up of respected statesmen and women, traditional and religious leaders;
4. To support all the institutions of government including INEC and security agencies to act and be seen to act with impartiality;
5. To forcefully and publicly speak out against provocative utterances and oppose all acts of electoral violence, whether perpetrated by supporters and/or opponents.
660 total views, 5 views today