Remember the picture above? Well, the picture became popular after President Muhammadu Buhari was declared winner of the February 23 Presidential election by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).
According to report, the boy, Bala Haruna had promised to bath and drink gutter water if President Buhari won.
In fulfilment of his promise, he did and the picture went viral.
Sad tale now is that Bala could not even live long enough to witness the President’s swearing-in ceremony because of his action.
According to a tweet by Naija Viral: “Bala Haruna, the boy who vowed to drink gutter water if Buhari wins the election has died. He was rushed to a hospital after complaining about abdominal pains & stooling of blood, After series of tests, it was found out that he had Gastrointestinal bleeding.”
Reacting, Senator Shehu Sani said: “Drinking poison or dangerous driving to celebrate political victory is an abominable and condemnable act.Its not the way the families of the political elites celebrate.However,May the soul of the deceased Rest In Peace.”
Also, ‘common sense’ Senator, Ben Murray-Bruce said: “This is the type of ignorance that former President @GEJonathan tried to cure by building 165 almajiri schools and 14 new universities.”
Other twitter users reacted as follows:
– That’s crazy. Indeed, there is a mental health crisis in Nigeria that needs to be addressed.
– Anyway dude is dead and sad truth is d man will b forgotten in no time…..I’m not even sure buhari will even have time to read of dis madness…..I pity some #IAMNorth.
– This a madness is now translatings into hypnotic confraternity,life is too precious to be sacrifice on the alter of political amnesia.
– To add to that, it’s also an act of illiteracy and lack of education.
– Arrant nonsense! It’s illogical to celebrate in such a barbaric manner! However, the dead would meet his Lord to explain what transpired.
3,167 total views, 5 views today